Client Project Management
The client project manager acts as the interface for the project into the organisation, managing the commercial relationship, including where necessary providing the interface with the legal team, reporting and providing any clarification needed in all aspects of the project.
The characteristics of client project managers that make them different from delivery project managers are that they focus on areas more aligned with those of a sponsor Project Director, taking a more strategic, benefits and outcome view. Client project managers have a more strategic outlook.
Key Considerations include:
- Ensure that the values of the delivery organisation and project are aligned with the client.
- Have the appropriate authority within the client with the full support of the project sponsor.
- Maintain the link from the project to the strategy and the outcomes of the organisation.
- Lead the relationship with the delivery organisation.
- Internal reporting to the sponsor/other stakeholders.
- Maintain the commercial contract with the deliverer, monitoring the achievement of agreed milestones.
Client project managers play a vital part in the delivery of projects, with distinct responsibilities and competencies.